Thursday, February 5, 2009

chaos and calm: the bookshelf

I do want to post about what books are on the shelf. Anja of Berlin wrote yesterday to ask about what I'm reading and mentioned that per this blog it looks like I'm mostly spending a lot of energy on Weight Watchers.

True. And running around. And keeping busy, and looking for my writing groups, and meeting people. And I'm glad of it and I think it has been tremendously important (I've been writing about the misery-to-happiness turnaround in the fall but there was another turning point in January when I went looking for new anchors and connections for the new year) and yet yes, there is certainly also a way in which I am running around so much I can't sit still. Except, of course, to play Scrabble and Boggle online (and starting yesterday, Pathwords with my relatives). 

Then there's the computer as a thing. We've been talking about this in the family. See: Terry Real and misery stabilizers (previous post). I think it's a fascinating topic and I was going to post about it all by itself but it's obviously creeping into the other posts. Anyway, the computer in one way is of course just a tool and so one can use it in so many plain ways, but in fact it steals our times and minds we are finding. And about three weeks ago I planned to go computerless between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. every day (it's 5:51 a.m. right now so you see I am not managing entirely). And I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to decide at any given time if I really need to not be on the computer, but I think I'm going to try to go for it again, and then I want to read some books again. 

So, that brings us to the bookshelf. Next post, or the one after that.

No comments: